Using antiques to decorate in your home can be fun and rewarding. But it can also be hard to find the right balance of antiques versus modern pieces. Here are our top tips for incorporating antiques into your home’s decorating:
1. Choose a focal point—The last thing you want to do is keep your antiques hidden! Show off your antiques by making them the focal point of every room.
2. Consider the size of items—When you purchase new antiques, always consider their size and how they will look in the room they’ll be going in.
3. Mix and match carefully—Be careful about how you mix antiques with other pieces in your home. Adding different textures and patterns can bring life into a room but going overboard won’t get the look you want.
4. Pick durable pieces—When it comes to antiques, expect some level of wear and tear. At the same time, try to find pieces that are durable and will last for years to come.
5. Use the 80/20 rule—When decorating, a good rule of thumb is to use 80 percent modern pieces with 20 percent antiques. This applies to furniture and other small pieces.
6. Combine rustic with antique—Choosing a rustic style for your home can pair nicely with antique pieces.
7. Showcase your style—No matter what you do, make sure your home’s decorating reflects your own personal style and tastes.